Burlington borders Lincoln to the southeast, just past Upper Cold Stream Pond. Incorporated in 1832 from the unorganized township of T2 R1 NBPP, EPR. Named for a Massachusetts town, it annexed “two-mile strip” in 1835 and some additional land from Lowell in 1847.
The township was first settled in 1824, probably by Tristam Hurd who donated the name “Hurd Ridge” to the area. Lumbering and agriculture have been the main occupations ever since.
In 1886, according to George Varney, “Much of the town is still covered with forest, consistng principally of maple, birch, beech, pine and spruce.” “Burlington is on the stage line from Enfield, on the European and Northa American Railway. The extension of the St. Croix and Penobscot Railroad is expected to pass through the town. The church edifice is used by the different societies in common.”
Varney usually listed the “manufactures” of each town. They are conspicuously absent from Burlington in this period.
The town is about 45 miles north of Bangor, and east of the Howland exit on Interstate 95 following Route 188 east from Enfield.
Saponac Lake, in the south end of the town and at the north end of Grand Falls Township, is from the Indian word for “the big opening.” Originally called Chibanook, the lake was a big opening when ascending the Passadumkeag River.